[Ansteorra] gonna stir some bunnies

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jan 17 14:46:49 PST 2003

Thaine Briscoe (rurikthered at austin.rr.com) said something that sounded like:
> If the wording states that the Crown must be by tournament and by single
> combat, how or even where does it say that this tournament and single combat
> must be a chivalric Single combat tournament and not a Rapier single combat
> tournament or even a combined Chivalric/Rapier single combat tournament
> (where the fighter must fight both styles). It seems to me that people, by
> tradition, assume that the tournament must be Chivalric and no other
> Fighting style.

Corpora states, and the last sentence is the killer:

C. Rapier Fighting in the Society
   The Board acknowledges rapier combat as an ancillary activity of the
   Society when properly supervised by the Marshals and when approved by
   individual kingdoms. Rapier combat may take place within a kingdom only
   by rules established by the Marshallate of that kingdom and after the
   approval of those rules by the Marshal of the Society. The Marshal of the
   Society will maintain guidelines for rapier combat within the Society.
   Rapier combat, not having been part of formal tournament combat in the
   Middle Ages, shall not be a part of formal tournament lists for royal
   ranks and armigerous titles.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "We have a constitutional right to make
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   fools of ourself."