[Ansteorra] king of the east..please pass along

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 06:13:38 PST 2003

> So, from what I'm seeing is that if your're a smart, bright, good worker
who
> has a future, with the possiblity of promotion in their current field,
they
> should not take a "long term" positison because of the possiblitiy
something
> good may happen?
>
> So much for folks saying real life comes first.

Oh, please, Gilli.  I think that EVERYbody has acknowledged that there are
some things you simply cannot predict.  What if instead of being promoted,
the bubble bursts and you are let go?  And remember that not every industry
has automatic relocation as part of a promotion; many people work all their
lives in one place, although they move up from packing crew to executive
office.

I belong to a modern-world Guild.  We have an issue with someone who
accepted the Presidency one year KNOWING that her husband was relocating the
family and she would not be there to serve.  She said she felt "so honoured
to be asked" she could not "disappoint people by saying 'no.'"  So we now
have a rule that you cannot accept an office if you believe you cannot serve
out the term.  And we accept the fact that death, major illness, or
relocation can strike and you might have to be out of town or not there for
part of the year.  Our current president had serious illness and death in
her family, and has been much of the year in Arkansas and Arizona.  We
haven't fired her; we've pulled together around her.  She had no way of
knowing, back in May, that this would occur.

I think it's the same thing here.  If you know you're likely to relocate or
travel heavily, and therefore are unable to do the job, you should consider
seriously whether it is appropriate to fight in Crown or accept an office.
But that is a decision for each person to make for him- or herself.  I don't
think there should be a hard-and-fast rule, which you seem to be pushing.

As for military service, there are active personnel who stay a year or two
or three in one place.  If they know they are going to be there for a while,
fighting in Crown should not be an issue.  Same with reservists, who are
home more than not most of the time.  You cannot predict that war will come
on and suddenly require people to leave.

                                                ---= Morgan

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them
 than to have them and not to deserve them."
                                          ---= Mark Twain