[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Chris Baran chris_baran at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:59:30 PST 2003

Greetings to the list...

Normally I tend to stay quiet on these topics as I like to see what the
populous thinks about them but I would like to comment on this one.

First off, I think one should never fight in crown without the intention of
fighting to their utmost to win the crown.  When one takes the oath for
Crown they promise to serve and be the best king they possibly can.  How can
you do that if you only fight half heartedly for the right to sit in the
Sable Thrones?

I would love to fight for the crown in the next list but due to mundane
responsibilites cannot.  Nor do I think those who have questions about their
ability to serve should fight for the Crown.

There will be some who say that under the above statement, no one can ever
be sure of their ability to serve since things always come up, but people
need to look at their lives in a realistic manner.  Having trouble paying
the rent or buying food?  Don't fight.  Might have to put off that third
trip to the Bahamas this year?  I'd say you could manage.  And no, I'm not
saying you have to be wealthy to sit on the thrones, just not destitute.
Member of the military in these active times?  Have a job that requires you
to travel 32 days a month?  Don't fight.

Now the question was about people entering the list just to weed out the
"unworthy".  If that is a person's reason for fighting Crown...volunteer for
the Bye.  That is the Bye's job.  Don't enter Crown without a true want to
win, it disrespects the tourney, the fighters, and the Kingdom.

Sir Romanius
A Bye for the last 3 Crowns and counting...