[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Synrik synrik at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 16:44:04 PST 2003

OK, to clear a few things up in my post:

   * I was only passing along several observations that I had heard myself
     over time.
   * Never was I questioning anyone's Honor or Abilities
   * My caffine-driven spell-checker missed the 'Sable Thrown' (though I
     liked the one about the furry fighters)

But from what I gather from the other posts, there is many things on and off
the field going on that determines weather someone wins the crown or not.
Not that this is a bad thing.  But just as being a knight, you must first and
foremost really want the job and swing the hottest stick in the land.

But over all, I am very curious as for what goes on in the life of a SCA
King/Queen.  I've heard many things (second and third hand) from 'It is the
greatest time I've had in my life' to 'O god, why did I ever swing a stick'.
I quite understand that it is a bit of work and a whole lot of traveling.
But other than that, what is it to be King?

Or for that matter, I've seen many a discussion on 'What it is to be a Peer',
but nothing as for what it means to be a squire/protégé/apprentice.

One analogy that was given to me was, 'We take a knight, a Peer of the realm,
and crown him King.  And over the period of six months, he gets a crash
course of all the politics and hard-work that the Pelicans and Laurels give
to this kingdom daily.  Some thrive on this machine we call the dream; others
feel the weight of their crown.  But one thing is for certain for the rest of
their life --- you were a King.'

And please do forgive me for those little slips of the keyboard --- I am
rather brain-dead most of the time.