[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Thaine Briscoe rurikthered at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 12:12:30 PST 2003

Having never fought in a Crown Tourney (Yet), I have a question as to the
thought process that may or may not go into the whole"duty to ensure that a
King's sucessor is a suitable".  By what criteria does one decide what a
"suitable sucessor" is?  Is it merely based on fighting ability (Sorry
Fighter X, but you have been weighed, you have been measured, and have been
found wanting), or does it really involve more than that.  Would you
consider the fighters chivalry,  their honor, if they play the "politics" so
necessary in some circles, their dedication to the dream we all share, does
he really do this game of  fighting to my level of authenticity (their armor
is made and constructed in period style and with period materials or do they
use materials I personally find revolting, just to gain a competative edge
on the field).

Fighter X may not be the best fighter in the Kingdom, but may hold that
which we all hopefully strive to achieve, the epitome of Chivalry and Honor
in all aspects of  their behavior, both on and off the field. I personally
abhor political game of any kind and if I were to unintentionally or even
unknowingly "step on someones toes", I would be very diappointed to learn
that that person would see me as unfit for the Crown and would enter a list
to specifically ensure my failure in my attempt to serve my Kingdom.

I do not mean any disrespect to anyone in this and I have not personally
been witness to anything I have asked. In my experience in three Kingdoms
and discussions with very dear friends around the Knowne World, I have heard
stories (accurate or not) of Knights or excellent fighters which have shown
that they lack the personal Honor or Chivalry I would feel is required to be
King of any Kingdom but certainly possess the martial skills necessary.

Rurik the Red