[Ansteorra] king of the east..please pass along

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Mon Jan 20 12:05:32 PST 2003

Quoting Burke McCrory <burkemc at cox.net>:

> I raised this issue with the BOD a few weeks ago because of this very
> instance.  The decision on Jafar was to posthumously award his Ducal rank,
> which required a waiving of the completion clause in Corpora.   It was not
> a decision on the completion clause itself.  We have seen the completion
> clause waived and upheld several times over the last 5 years on a case by
> case bases.  I think that given this circumstance that if a ruling
> Crown/Coronet were to be called up to active duty and had completed at
> least 50% of their reign then the rule should be waived.  But is they have
> not completed 50% of their reign as Crown/Coronet then the rule should be
> upheld as they have (through no fault of their own) not really served the
> Kingdom (Principality) or the populace.   Just my 2.8 cents worth.
>
> Burke

I think the board should do as they have done in the past and deal with it on a
case by case basis, provided that they stick to any precedence previously set.
If a very similar situation has come up before and they decided not to waive
the completion clause, then they shouldn't in this case.  I don't know enough
of the circumstances about the current issue to really have an opinion.  If he
took Crown with the knowledge that there was a good chance that he would be
called up during the reign, then I'd probably lean toward he shouldn't get the
duchy.  If this was something that came out of the blue, and a significant
portion of the reign had been completed, then maybe serious though to giving it
to him is in order.  I don't know the individual personally and have no
emotional coloring with regard to an opinion on this.

I can certainly understand his people wanting him to get it, though.

Ansgar