[Ansteorra] Favorite Tournaments

C. Weed cweed at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 03:57:25 PST 2003

I like anything with a barrier.  And crests.  And lots of weapons (though
not necessarily all at the barrier).  And formal challenging.  And betting.
And a bit with a dog.

I think there's nothing that helps put a crowd to sleep (regardless of how
much fun it is to the entrants) than a modern double elimination
tennis-match tournament.  I appreciate that our Kingdom style has such
strong defensive attributes where sword and shield are concerned but it does
make for too many hour-long chess matches; IMNSHO, less than a thrill for
onlookers.

And who are we really doing this for anyway?

Dieterich

Post Scriptum:  One of the greatest tournaments I've ever been in or seen
was at a Gothic War one year when we had progressive teams *at the barrier*.
Twelve on a side, toe to toe, waiting for "LAY ON" to be called.... what a
sight!  And the crowd cheered and raved.  That's how tournaments should be:
The Monster Truck Madness coliseum event of the Middle Ages!

And another thing: If you don't get enough fighting at any given tournament
it's nobodys fault but yours.  The last I checked, knights like Sir Alexis,
Sir Gideon, Sir Romanius, Sir Erasmus, and Sir Aaron are all willing to keep
armor on until there's no light left or you call for your mama.