[Ansteorra] to Alden et al

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 16:27:34 PDT 2003

Greetings, Alden,

I know you weren't trying to rain on anyone's parade, and I truly hope that
we have positive interchange on this list about this matter.

Within the circle(at least in the years that I have been in), the Laurelate
has been trying to encourage Iris's and others to learn how to judge.  Being
involved with the A & S community and assisting with judging is an important
aspect that the circle looks at when considering a candidate.  It is not
just Shanahan.  Her attitude *is* the prevalent attitude.

How are new Laurel's supposed to know how to judge if they have never been
trained to do so? Not all Laurels were ever apprentices, so they may not
have had the experience of having their Laurel walk around and informally
critique items with them.

Knowing how to judge and offer constructive criticism is a technique that
does not come naturally to everyone.  We are still working on it, and will
continue to work on effective judging for a long time to come.  There is no
perfect method.

Mistress Xene