[Ansteorra] Re: Theory

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 22:59:51 PDT 2003

> > I'm still trying to figure out terminolgy for those who participate
> > minimally on a local level but participate and take responsibility
> > on a Kingdom or Society level...got any ideas?
>
> They are the elves. You know they're there, and that they do good
> work, but you never see them. :)

Gudze, I'd say it's the opposite.  The people who work, invisibly or
nearly-so, on a local level are the elves.  You can see people on the
Kingdom or Society level; if nothing else, they are in the Regnum.  Often
they appear in court, teaching classes, and other prominent and noticeable
places.  But on a local level?  Either every group is made up of a dozen
people from Carggg; or they are very, very tired people; or they have many
elves who never get noticed, but do a lot of work for the group.

Remember the story of the shoemaker's elves - they came out at night and did
work unnoticed.  Most of the people you're talking about are more than
noticed.  Elves are the quiet people, the ones who do things locally,
magically keeping groups alive and doing things simply for the fun of them.

It's often a point of discussion how to get such locally-ensconced persons
noticed, when they don't travel and outsiders don't often see them working.
But I guess that's the opposite of the problem at hand.

Persons only visible at the Kingdom or Society level?  Stars, flares,
something else bright overhead that doesn't come down to earth with the rest
of us.

                              ---= Morgan, definitely an elf

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
 never regains its original dimensions."
                                 ---= Oliver Wendell Holmes
"....look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else."
        ---= Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" (1967)