[Ansteorra] theory

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 23 06:05:54 PDT 2003

>"Politician: Lives in town, but all their interests are in the circles
>of power."
>
>Funny, that's what I was going to say.  Even after reading the other
>suggestions, I'd still stick with this one.  In my experience, the folks
>who play only
>on the larger, Kingdom scale are more focused on personal agendas and
>political interests.  That isn't to say they don't also serve out of love,
>but it
>doesn't seem to be the same kind of selfless love and support that people
>give to
>their local group.  Typically they seem to possess a desire to initiate
>change according to their view of the SCA world and they work to make it
>happen,
>much as politicians do.
>
>I'm not sure politicians fit in the medieval town analogy.  Was there any
>type of person/dignitary in period that compares?
>
>- Kat  >^.,.^<

         THere was this guy named Machievelli who wrote a book on how to be
political and then there was this guy named Castigliono (sorry -can't spell
Italian) who wrote a book for the courtier.
-you tell me if there were politicians.... (grin).

I don't agree with your definitions.  Sometimes you start playing on a
Kingdom level so you can see friends you've made along the way.  If it
comes down to doing laundry and skipping a local function to be able to go
out of town to see your friends then I'd skip the guild
functions...  Fighters also go out of town to get more variety in fighting
- that's not necessarily political.  They will go to other community
fighter practises in order to get the practise.  What if you work nights
and can only play on weekends so you go out of town because you're intown
friends are all out of town at events..... What if you move to a new group
but have strong ties to the one you lived in and it's only an hour away.

There are many many, reasons why you don't play local but you can play
kingdom... That you choose to try to find one reason sorta bothers me....
It's close to stereo-typing...

Clare