[Ansteorra] Length of court/Awards/Sound Systems

Gudze O'Domhnaill gudze at pagancow.org
Sun Jul 6 18:07:31 PDT 2003

HE Niklas Vasilevich, Baron of Raven's Fort, said:

--snip--
> this is what I suggest.....
>
> STOP talking...go outside, go to another room or do whatever to not be
> causing this increase in the noise floor level during court.
>
> This dove-tails in with the problem of the sound system discussion as the
> increased noise floor caused by the talking, raises the need of a sound
> system to overcome the folks talking in the back, that cause the need of a
> louder sound system, that then the ones in the back talk louder so they
can
> hear themselves and so on and so on and so on.........
>
> It is a Catch 22.
>
> The way to stop this problem. Stop the root of the problem....the talking
> in the back of the room.
--/snip--

Your Excellency, and all in audience of the list:

In like fashion, and true to my style, this message will be rather length.
For that, I apologize. But so that my apology isn't longer than the message
I want to send, onward!

There is yet another solution which is not intrusive in a technology-related
aspect. I must give fair warning that this may not be the best suggestion,
and it bears a great cost (your wallets are safe, the cost isn't financial).
Also, this solution is counter-intuitive and will likely be unpopular (and
rightly so). Even so, I shall present it.

If you cannot hear, and you do not with to 'shush' anyone or otherwise
address the issue directly, then you could just leave. I can see all the
angry faces already... If you can find the autocracy, His/Her Majesty, or
His/Her Excellency after Court, apologize for stepping out, explaining why
you'd left. If people do this, the likely result is that someone of
authority will take action against those that are causing people to leave
their court.

I am not nobility, and certainly not royalty, but if I were, and people were
walking out of my court because of the back noise, I would be quite unhappy,
and motivated to do or say something about it. In fact, I would be furious
that a few inconsiderate persons are ruining my court. I would start
removing the offenders (Sergeant-at-Arms suggestion, posted by another), or
taking other action to keep them from interfering.

To use the analogy of {Audience : Performance :: Populace : Court}, a
performance is often judged by its attendance. Broadway shows close if
people stop going. Theaters stop playing movies if people don't buy tickets.
One measure of the success of a night Court is the turn-out. If that drops,
then action must be taken.

I have heard stories from my good friend Nikolai Petrovich of people whose
inappropriate actions resulted in retribution. This should be applied in
Court as well; if people can't behave appropriately, then they should be
given a good reason to consider otherwise. People tend not to misbehave when
there are rammifications to consider.

Okay, that's three paragraphs saying basically the same thing. It is my
humble hope that Their Excellencies and Their Majesties will consider giving
the inconsiderate members of the populace something to think about before
they continue their behavior, and that the aforementioned inconsiderate
members would do what they can to preempt Majestic Intervention.

In Humble Regards,
Gudze O'Domhnaill