[Ansteorra] Length of court/Awards/Sound Systems

Gudze O'Domhnaill gudze at pagancow.org
Sun Jul 6 19:44:29 PDT 2003

HE Niklas Vasilevich replied:

> Hi.......
>
> With all due respect, this is like cutting your nose off to spite your
face.

> Why should you or for that matter anyone, get up and walk out of a court
> because some folks are making too much noise? You are not the problem, why
> not be part of the solution instead of part of the problem?
>
> This action deprives you of the activities of court or whatever and while
> understand the idea, it is counterproductive as the action that you take
> it-self will cause quite a bit of noise and probably bring the ire of all
> that are trying to hear the activity in court onto you as well as the ones
> causing the other noise.
>
> Not a real good idea....sorry to disagree.
>
> This is akin to civil-disobedience. One has to be very careful as to which
> battles one chooses to use that tactic and why.
>
> But, there are many other avenues of resolution that will gain you praise
> rather than possible scorn.
>
> As they say about buying on eBay.....buyer beware.
>
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> Good luck in your endeavors.....
>
> HE Niklas
>

> >If you cannot hear, and you do not with to 'shush' anyone or otherwise
> >address the issue directly, then you could just leave. I can see all the
> >angry faces already... If you can find the autocracy, His/Her Majesty, or
> >His/Her Excellency after Court, apologize for stepping out, explaining
why
> >you'd left. If people do this, the likely result is that someone of
> >authority will take action against those that are causing people to leave
> >their court.

Thank you, Your Excellency, for your reply. As I'd expected, this suggestion
is unpopular. I would like to make a few general comment to rebut and
clarify, then address this reply specifically.

My solution was just that: a solution. It was never intended to be a good
one, nor even reasonable to the thinking person. It was, however, intended
to show how some people may feel, and it was intended to be
counter-intuitive and illogical. I will declare now, for the record (if
there is one), that I do not suggest that everyone get up and leave because
of the background noise. I dare say that this thought has crossed the minds
of many people during a noisy court ("Should I stay or should I go?").

That in mind, my hope is that just the thought of people leaving or not
attending court due solely to the noise levels should make people think more
deeply about the manner in which court is conducted (specifically, how noise
is treated).

I now wish to address His Excellency's reply specifically. These comments
are primarily intended in the same light as my original post, as I tend to
play Devil's Advocate when I think it will help to illustrate my point
(plus, I enjoy being an oratory pain, just not in Court!).

> With all due respect, this is like cutting your nose off to spite your
face.
Many popular celebrities do this very thing, in the form of plastic surgery
(a la Michael Jackson, et al.).

> Why should you or for that matter anyone, get up and walk out of a court
> because some folks are making too much noise?
Because it would demonstrate dissatisfaction. Civil Disobedience is a good
word. :)

> You are not the problem, why
> not be part of the solution instead of part of the problem?
I would happily volunteer as a Sergeant-at-Arms when I am present at an
event.

> Not a real good idea....sorry to disagree.
Your disagreement is welcome! To quote Confucious, "He was of no use to me,
for he agreed with everything I said." No apology needed. :)

In closing, I think that my intent has manifested, causing people to think,
"Boy, that would SUCK!" I sincerely hope that no one walks out of court due
to the noise levels, but rather considers other, better options. Solutions
like walking out are generally bad, and I encourage everyone to seek a
better one. I would be truly saddened if walking out became the last option,
and would do what I could to prevent that from happening.

In Humble Regards,
Gudze the Ever-Seated and Ever-Quiet