[Ansteorra] Theory

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 05:28:41 PDT 2003

> From: Lunamoth <lunamoth at sbcglobal.net>
>
> What of the folk like myself who are new in town/toSCA and want to get
> involved but huddle in the corner like a scared rabbit?  Hobbits
> perhaps...?  We do not have any adventures, no siree! ;)

LOL!!  Just "new in town" works - I've been in the SCA a long time, but am
shy and it takes me a while to get settled after a move.  And I've done
plenty of moving over the decades.

I'd recommend go to a local populace or business meeting and find out if
there are guilds or other things of interest for you.  We just had someone
do that for our Barony, and in addition to Baronial stuff she learned of
local non-SCA groups that are of interest to her.  She's helping with an
upcoming event, and attending meetings of the guilds that interest her.

That way, you get to know people who share your interests, and have people
with whom to travel, so getting out of the house/canton/shire/Barony is not
as scary as you might otherwise think.  While some people think work parties
are the only way to get out, other people are afraid that "work" means they
will be expected to know what to do.  Our newcomer is like that; she didn't
want to work in the kitchen unless she had taken the recipes home and
practiced them several times.  We reassured her that if she shows up in the
kitchen, the instructions are along the lines of "take those boxes of
mushrooms into that corner and clean them.  Then bring back the cleaned
mushrooms, throw out the trashy bits, and we'll tell you the next step."
She figures she can follow instructions like that!  Meanwhile she will be
getting to know other people who share her interest in cooking, learning how
to cook period stuff, and I'm hoping the head cook is smart enough to throw
staff out of the kitchen periodically so they can see the rest of the event.

Many guild meetings are instructional, you can learn whatever it is the
group is doing, or just show up when the topic is of interest to you.
Although I've gotten a rule about ALWAYS showing up to the Cooks Guild,
because no matter what we're doing, it's delicious.......<g>......

                            ---= Morgan, the little elf

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
 never regains its original dimensions."
                                 ---= Oliver Wendell Holmes
"....look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else."
        ---= Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" (1967)