[Ansteorra] theory

Reihla at aol.com Reihla at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 11:44:55 PDT 2003

Claire said:

> "If it comes down to doing laundry and skipping a local function to be able
> to go
> out of town to see your friends then I'd skip the guild functions...
> Fighters also go out of town to get more variety in fighting - that's not
> necessarily political."

Agreed.  But I consider seeing friends and gaining more experience fighting
in the realm of "personal agendas."  I think we'd all agree that there's
nothing wrong with making seeing your out-of-town friends top priority.  By the same
token there isn't anything wrong with trying to change the kingdom for the
better if you think your ideas can do that.  It's just that, in my experience,
most folks who enjoy the social end of kingdom travel don't always pick pick
kingdom activities over local.  More often than not they do both.  Same is true
with folks who can only participate on weekends.  They may still attend local
revels/weekend events and work their tails off on behalf of their local group.

Maybe I misunderstood.  I thought the category was those who don't
participate *at all* with their local group.  I realize that others may have varying
experiences on that level (and more power to ya ;-), but with very few exceptions
I've found that SCA politics (be they personal aspirations/disagreements with
another local member/whatever) usually enters into the decision to play
*strictly* at a kingdom level.