[Ansteorra] Re: Just a Question

Nathan Jones bigbeartx at msn.com
Sun Jun 29 11:32:10 PDT 2003

Greetings Lady Susannah Blackthorne!

I agree that court is many times very hard to hear.  This can be caused by
many reasons, including the acoustics of the site, baronial "mumble mouth"
(wherein everythign said during court is held at the level of a private
conversations, instead of at a volume to reach everyone attending), or
background noise.

I admit to being one of the hangers on in back of court most of the time.
And yes, from time to time I have conversations during court.  It's hard to
catch up with most of my friends in the SCA at events and many times court
is when we happen to run into each other.  I do try, and many of us try, to
at least take that conversation off to the edge of the crowd and have it in
somewhat hushed tones.  But, conversations can get louder than they should.
And when asked politely to keep it down because court was going on, I have
yet to find someone who ignored such a request.

When you told the people who were talking during court that you were having
a hard time hearing and would appreciate it greatly if they either kept it
down or moved a bit further away, what was their response?  Were you
ignored?

I do not take into account dirty looks, btw.  Our Peers and Nobles, and
other ragtag rapscallions are immune to such things.  Take it from an
experienced Peer and Noble Rangler (P&NR Union, Local 596), directly
confronting the situation garners the best results.

If that doesn't work, try to distract them with something shiny.  *grin*

Gio.
Bjornsborg.