[Ansteorra] Just a Question

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Sun Jun 29 10:39:34 PDT 2003

At 12:15 PM 6/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Ah but you failed to see the part where the King would walk right UP to
>them.  It's alot easier to pretend it's not you when they are over 300 feet
>away and when the King is less than 2 feet from you being very specific to
>who he is talking to.
>
>Karolus

I am going to take the devil's advocate position on this argument for a
moment.  At Wiesenfeuer the court was being held in an amphitheater and so
if you were not seated in front of the court, you would not have been able
to hear anything, even if no one was talking.  At Steppes it is hard to
hear what is happening in court if you are beyond the 12th row, even when
every one is quiet, because of the size of the hall.  The common point
here, as in many other events I have been to in the last 10 years, if you
can't hear what is going on you loose interest and start doing other
things.  When we held ATYC at the canton site we made the concession to
modern equipment to have a mic and use the PA system.  This allowed the
audience to hear and be involved in what is going on.  We can't expect our
heralds and nobles to shout through a whole court at a large event just to
allow people to hear.  So we need to come up with ways to bring the court
activities to the populace.  I would suggest looking into some form of
wireless system that is portable.

Now devil's hat off.

People should try to not disturb court if they are not involved.  If they
want to carry on conversations they should withdraw to a sufficient
distance to make sure their conversation does not impact the court.  If
they are ask to be quiet they should either be quiet or take the
conversation to a different place (outside perhaps).

Courtesy is one of the Hallmarks of our Society and if it dies, So Do We!

Burke