[[Ansteorra] Merchant Question]

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 20:13:00 PST 2003

RIsaac9056 at aol.com wrote:
>   I have a friend and he is interested in becoming a merchant in the SCA. He
> makes and sells custom Candles. What if anything does he have to do in order
> to sell candles at events. He is not a member of the SCA at this time. But
> plans to become one at some time in the future if this business idea works
> out.

As others have mentioned, merchants are often welcomed at SCA events. The
appropriate procedures to follow will vary from event to event. At some it
will simply be a matter of finding an appropriate place to set up while at
others the merchant may need to register ahead of time. At some events some
goods will not be allowed to be sold or there will be other restrictions. Gulf
Wars being one such event, where the site owners have restricted food sales
for some time to ensure a profit for their own operations. At some events
there are restrictions so that only period merchandise is visible.

Your friend might want to take a look through this file in the COMMERCE section of the Florilegium:

merchanting-msg   (52K) 11/27/00    Merchanting in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchanting-msg.html

There is also this file that your friend or others here might be interested
in, which was first published as an SCA Compleat Anachronist pamplet:

Med-Merchants-CA  (  K)  3/ 5/01    "Medieval Merchants and Artisans" by
                                       Catriona Macperson (AKA Milly McCloskey).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/Med-Merchants-CA.html

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com