[Ansteorra] Re: [Steppes] Waterlord progression (was: Fwd: VooDoo Duck et...

William Small bsmall at cox-internet.com
Mon May 26 10:12:53 PDT 2003

Johann wrote :

> Ask the people of Canton the same question:  They live in a flood-prone
area,
> yet they're content to stay there.  Why?
>
> Down here in BG, we've got a creek that has some flood-prone areas, yet
> people are content to live there despite the fact that it's flooded their
homes on
> occasion.  Why do they stay there?
>
> I think it's because they've known that to be their home for their entire
> lives, and flooding isn't about to drive them out.  They've got nowhere
else to
> go. (Ask a person who's lived all their lives in one place to suddenly up
and
> move to a new location.  That's a pretty tall order.  I imagine that the
Feds
> faced the same challenge when they created the TVA and their dams.)
>
> Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)

All good points, but they're not valid in regard to the original question.
The SCA doesn't live at the Canton site and Warlord hasn't always been
there.
The question was simply, with all the various issues that make Canton an
undesirable site (mundanity, weather, thefts, etc) has any thought gone into
finding another site?

Maybe people have looked and couldn't find anything better.  That would be
an answer.  But saying "We've always held it here" as an answer is, IMO,
simply a lame answer.  "Tradition!" is a great rallying cry, but it
shouldn't be used to inhibit trying to find better ways of doing things or
better places to hold events at.

Ansgar