[Ansteorra] Re: Re: Waterlord progression

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 14:36:49 PDT 2003

Gilli asked:

> Was the archery rained out, or what?

Or what.  Saturday's archery happened and was a success; you should hear
about it soon.  The Champion shoot is being rescheduled to another event.

Most of the archery butts were washed downstream in the storm, ending up in
a pavilion on the listfield, in the royal camp, and dunno where else.  The
event was called about 10:00am given the amount of damage to stuff, the
still-soggy condition of most of the fields, and the fact that people really
needed to get offsite to clean up and dry out.  With similar conditions
predicted for Sunday (luckily they did not come to pass), Baron Fritz and
Baroness Catrin, in consultation with the autocrats, decided that the wisest
course was to end the event.  I understand that some rapier people and other
daytrippers whined a bit, but in the end they pitched in and helped pick up
the mess.

Colin asked:

> Is there anything we can to help both the merchants who lost everything,
> and the populace that lost a lot to recover?

For the merchants - buy their stuff in the future.  Contact them and ask if
you can help.  Some were having sales on damaged goods on Sunday, if you
wanted to do the repair work.

For others, if you know someone who lost things, ask if they want help to
replace them.  Offer to help your friends get things repaired.  At least
three vehicles were lost to the flood; one owner said he had comprehensive
insurance, I don't know about the other two.  You will surely hear if
someone is hurting.

We did collect quite a lot of lost-and-flotsam stuff out of the storm drains
and elsewhere downstream.  It is being cataloged and a list will be posted
soon.  Some had names, many items did not.  This is a great time to remember
to LABEL YOUR STUFF.  An indelible pen and a minute's work on your cooler,
camp chair, and other items greatly increases the chances that they will
come back to you.  If you want it to look period, get paints and a stencil
of your arms.

In an unsigned message, doc at ev1.net asked:

> At the risk of causing upset or invoking people's ire, I wish to pose
> a question over the list that ran through my mind repeatedly through
> the course of the day as I drained, mopped, and dried my tent.
> Why is it that we keep holding this events at a site which we know
> is highly flood prone, not nice to look at, and has huge amounts
> of mundane traffic running through it?

Gilli had a lot of the answers - size and amenities.  We can have archery,
thrown weapons, equestrian, rapier, and a heavy list there.  There is lots
of electricity, important for those with medical reasons who need to plug in
at night, and lots of fresh running water anywhere you need it.  Many sites
do not offer all of these, and some sites that used to allow archery, for
example, no longer do so.  The sheer fact that we can have so many things
going on AT THE SAME TIME limits the sites we can use for Warlord.

Also, not all of the site floods.  Unfortunately, the largest fields do, as
does the area under the trees.  People who camped on the higher ground
didn't have flooding.

We get the traffic because of First Mondays.  That is the main thing that
happens at the site, it's the weekend after Warlord, and many of the
merchants show up a week early.  Yes, we have had trouble with them,
including a lot of them jumping the noon-Monday SCA departure time - but to
our everlovin' astonishment, one of the First Monday merchants returned an
entire case of jewelry he had found.  It had a business card inside and he
recognized it as one of our people.  When asked, the merchant said "I
thought it was the right thing to do."  That act alone made us think there
was hope for the First Monday people not all being jerks.

And if you have been to Warlord before, you know that not every one is a
flood of that dimensions.  Believe me, Ansgar and others who are wondering,
when I say that the Steppes people are well aware of the problems and are
working on finding another site that will work for Warlord.  However, going
more than an hour or so away from our Barony makes it hard to successfully
manage the event, so we're a little limited in the boundaries of the area in
which we can conduct a search.  Since it is a baronial event, Steppes
Warlord cannot be held just anywhere in Ansteorra.

Not speaking for the Barony, just my opinions on the matter, and etc.,

                                        ---= Morgan the Deputy Waterbearer

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
  in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
                                   ---= Thomas Jefferson
"If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists."
                 ---= Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "The Little Prince"
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
                                    ---= Solomon Short