Office was[Ansteorra] best of the best

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 20:34:35 PST 2003

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 09:29 AM, Zach wrote:
> I just got finished reading my posts and noticed that I come off as
> someone who wants no office.  Well in truth I would take an office to
> help the group if it was in something that I enjoyed and that I felt I
> could really help the group.  I believe that it is important to do
> your part to make the group a fun safe place to play. I don’t know
> what that position is and I am not actively going to seek out
> responsibility, but hey you never know!  I guess that there are levels
> of involvement depending on what office you decide to hold.  I can
> only imagine that being a combat marshal for a shire is much less
> involved then that of kingdom combat marshal.
Well, I think anyone thinking about holding an office in the SCA would
be wise to read this article in the Florilegium:
Bng-an-Officer-art (7K)  7/26/02    "On Being an SCA Officer" by HL
Annes
                                        Clotilde von Bamburg.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Bng-an-Officer-art.html

Even if you aren't the baron or don't ever intend to hold such an
office these might also be good. Not the least because they let you
know what should be involved in being the baron. Some folks might be
less critical of their baron if they knew more of what is involved and
some barons might do a better job if they kept in mind some of this.
Baronial-Lead-art (18K)  5/30/97    "Principles of Leadership and a
Baron/ess"
                                        by Conor mac Cinneide.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Baronial-Lead-art.html
Guid-f-Barons-art (61K)  1/19/02    "A Guide for Barons and Baronesses"
by by
                                        Baron Hrolf Herjolffsen OP and
Mistress
                                        Madelaine de Bourgogne OL, OP.