[Ansteorra] Award Query

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 11:00:53 PST 2003

ThoraOdottir at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/28/03 7:31:15 PM Central Standard Time,
>cpenny at swbell.net writes:

>> This type of award does not need to be
>> armigious, in fact, of the all the awards that I have, two of the ones
>> that I value most, my Falcon and my Acorn, are not armigious, in fact
>> the Acorn isn't even an registered award.
>>

>Someone once told me a non armigerous award was a "cookie award". I know
>that my kids will do all kinds of things for a cookie and that the cookie
>usually "leaves a good taste in one's mouth".

Value is in the eye of the beholder...cookies are transient "feel good"s ...much more like largess...awards are supposed to mean something beyond that ephemeral "feel good"...if you view any award as a "cookie" you will be sorely disappointed in the SCA very quickly...for there are only so many awards to be given...and many of them are not easily reachable...and the people who make the rules in our Kingdom don't want the SCA to become a merit badge/Cookie oriented organization so there probably won't ever be enough awards for those who percieve them as "cookies"

>point the second:

>>>Regards,
>>>Valstarr

>Some people have discovered that many of the site tokens produced by this
>region are just to good to be wasted by throwing them in a junk drawer. Collect >up some nice ones and a few other beads and trinkets and you can come up >with a nice little "treasure necklace" which I believe is a period Norse concept.

some groups have actually used that concept when thinking up site tokens...yes the Treasure Necklace is a Norse Concept (see Gunnora's web page) but many other cultures also do similar things...

>Thora
>DFT

Lorraine DeerSlayer