[Ansteorra] Dogfish anyone?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 23:46:31 PDT 2004

Xanthe asked:
>  Just thought I'd ask. Does anyone know where I can acquire/purchase
> dogfish hide (Mustelus canis) or horsetail reed (equisetum hyemale)?
The horsetail reed is apparently a fairly common ornamental plant for
ponds and such. You might try the nurseries in your area. If you are
going to Pennsic, there is a fair amount of it growing near the lake
down near the "causeway" and the "swamp". That is where I got several
handfuls a couple of years ago. I have no info on the dogfish hide.

For folks who are wondering what these things are used for, it is not
for some potion or such. The horsetail reed, and I suppose the dogfish
hide, were used as polishing compounds/sandpaper in the Middle Ages.
Those interested can find some more details in this file in the CRAFTS
section of the Florilegium:
polishing-msg     (13K)  4/17/00    Period polishing and sanding
materials.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/polishing-msg.html

Stefan
--------