[Ansteorra] Question 4/24

Jan Aarons loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 14:44:54 PDT 2004

So, true. Beef prices alone have went up over 35 cents a pound in the last month. And there is a promise of the price to still rise another 30 more cents before Summer. But the one thing I don't understand is that as price rise our paychecks don't seem to rise. When is the last time you seen a raise in pay? And when was the last time the minimum wage was raised? My nephew is trying to go to college while working in a low-end minimum wage job and he has to have two other roommates just so they can pay the bills. I worry about them if prices keep rising how will they make it and it things keep rising at this rate I may have to come out of retirement and go back to work. I worked hard for the past 20 years so I could retire before 40 and now if things keep going on this track prehaps I will have to go back to work. I am not so much worried now but if the war keeps up and the prices keep rising where we will be in a couple of years. And while I am thinking about it I was watching the
 news this morning about oil prices did you know we the United States hasn't built a new refinery in over 15 years. We are not equipped nor able to handle extra crude. We could drill for our own crude but we would have no way to refine it fast enough to keep up with our current use. We have to import it and pay the extra price now you know why the gas prices are so high.

In Service, Love

ylwrose2 at juno.com wrote:
The earlier comparison were interesting, but for some, not realistic.
Let's compare gas to other everyday items. Gas now costs me about $5 a
week more than it did. Over the past 3 or 4 months, milk has gone from
1.99 a gallon to 2.49 (at a gallon a day, that's 3.50 a week.).
Hamburger has gone from 1.59 a pound to around 2.19 a pound. And there
hasn't been a sale on chicken or Round Steak in my area (Dallas/Steppes)
in two weeks. Sometimes even Ramen Noodles are too expensive. It's not
just gas prices for me.

Francesca