R-Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 19:25:17 PST 2004

There was an "Officer's Handbook" in the SCA Publications of the SCA website
it covers general expectations and responsibilities of all the offices...I don't know if
it is still there or is carried by the SCA Marketplace (was Stockclerk) still...it's worth hunting down...I copied off copies for all of our officers once...but as with most stuff anyone hands to people, it probably just got lost in rest of the info we all seem to collect.

There is also a book...on the web that is titled... "Bright Ideas and True Confessions"
by Aelfled of Duckford...some of the material is dated and kingdom specific...but it still contains a lot of really good info.

One improvement to the info Ryah put out.... though the Seneschal is the final say on a lot of things...all financial decisions (budget approvals for events, expenditures over a certian amount, etc) are decided by the financial committee...of which the Seneschal is one vote of.

Lorraine DeerSlayer

estarkey <estarkey at camalott.com> wrote:
Since Isobel wrote that lovely long letter about newbies not knowing what
some of the officers do in the SCA, I thought that I would send a bit about
what a seneschal does for the local group in the SCA. When I reread it (I
had sent this to my group in our local newsletter about a year ago), I
realized that it seemed to be quite a bit to do, and a lot of
responsibility. It is, but I did have time for newcomers then, and still do
now. I admit that there are times that I get too busy to welcome newcomers
and mentor them as I should. Thank you, Isobel, for reminding me how much I
need to remember about people starting out in the SCA.

Will others who have held offices in the Society (Treasurer, Chronicler,
Minister of Children, Knight Marshal, Rapier Marshal, Herald, Baron,
Baroness, King, Queen, Kingdom and Regional levels, etc) please post what
those jobs entail?

Seneschal: The seneshal is the president of the local group, and is the
person responsible for the overall actions of the group. Must be a signatory
on the groups bank account, a member of the groups finance committe,
responsible for reviewing the monthly treasurer's report and providing one
of the signatures for the report. The group's seneschal files a monthly
report to the Region Seneschale, and also files an end of reign
report and an end of year report. Reports must be to the Regional by
certain dates. The Seneschal also sends a copy of this report to the
group's treasurer, and keeps one copy for the Seneschal Files.. All other
officers send a copy of their reports to the Seneschal as well as to their
own regional. The seneschale must sign off on autocrats for shire events,
and flyers that will be published in the kingdom newsletters. The Seneschal
supports the other officers of the shire, and helps them if they are having
problems with their office, or with their up-the-line officer. The
seneschal should support all activities in the shire by presence and
encouragement.

The seneshal should attend most meetings/fighter practices/demos/ etc that
are held by the shire. Will be contacted by people looking for the SCA in
the area and should be prepared to give them information about the group and
the SCA and do some follow up contact, especially if the shire has no
Hospitaler. The Seneschale runs the meetings of the Populace and of the
Officers, making sure that business is conducted without unduly ruffling
feathers (okay, make that not singeing....., well, not pulling them out by
the handfuls at least). The seneschale's name, phone number, and email
will be listed in the Kingdom newsletter as a point of contact, and also on
the Shire's web page.

The Seneschal is one of the positions that must be filled if a shire is to
remain a recognized group. The Seneschale and Treasurer cannot be the same
person, nor can they live in the same household.

As the Shire is not a democracy, the Seneschal must make some decisions
about how things are going to be done, and if they are going to be done.
However, being totally autocratic in a volunteer group always leads to there
being no group, so the seneschal should seriously take into account the
wishes of the group as a whole, and get the group working together, not
scattering. The pay is zero. The rewards, however, can be great.

HL AmaRyah
Western Regional Seneschal