[Ansteorra] My SCA Family in times of need

Elizabeth Blackthorne damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 12:14:10 PDT 2004

Greeting unto the Kingdom of Ansteorra,
When I saw this plea for help my thoughts went to a time when I too was in need and my Ansteorran family helped me.  It was at Patrick and Julia's (I think that's right) coronation.  I had attended mainly to be of support to Aaron and Britta as they stepped down and also this was to be my first Coronation.  My friend and I had decided to camp because our funds would not be able to bear the motel expense and the trim merchant.  When we arrived Friday night we had gotten lost and it was late so in major disarray our tent went up and our belongings were scattered.  We awoke the next morning and decided to deal with it later because we wanted to see the King's Champion tournament, and everything else going on so we dressed and set out to enjoy.  After Aaron and Britta stepped down there was an intermission of sorts before the stepping up court.  I was socializing with those I knew when I heard my mundane name heralded.  I was needed by the Sheriff's department.  It is scary to be told a
 mundane police officer from another town needs to speak with you, I knew it must be important for them to track me down there.  It was a message for me to call home, there was a family emergency.  Some young man I didn't even know allowed me the use of his cell phone, and sat patiently while I used his minutes blubbering and crying because I received the news of my grandfather's passing.  After that I found someone to herald in the hall for my friend because I could not locate her.  Another person I didn't know taking time for me in my time of need.  Once she was located we went out and found the auto-crat, so we could give our feast tickets as a prize or whatever because we had to go.  We had our money refunded, which we did not expect.  Then this person rounded up people to help us tear down and pack up.  I'm not sure how many came but in 20 min we were totally packed up and it was neater than we ourselves had done before in hours.  We were not even allowed to help because as it
 was put to us my job was to grieve and her job was to comfort me.  I have wanted to say thank you to all of these people since that day, but I wanted it to be more than just mere words.  Due to not knowing most of my SCA helpers that day, it seemed impossible to do this, until now.  I was told once that when someone does something for you and you cannot repay them, do something for someone else.  I will be sending funds to Shanahan the Fey in repayment for the kind deeds of my SCA family.  I encourage all others who have been helped by those in this Society to repay these kind deeds the same way as I am sure Shanahan will do when it is her turn.  I do not know this lady and that is why it seems so fitting for me to help her because I did not know most of my helpers that day either.
Lady Elizabeth Blackthorne
Shire of Crossrode Keep

Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com> wrote:
Ansteorra,
Recently, an e-mail was posted entitled 'A Plea for Help', forwarded to the Ansteorran lists on
behalf of Mistress Shanahan the Fey, of Stargate. Shanahan, a founding member of Ansteorra, and
Stargate, and has found herself in physical and financial difficulty at this time of her life.

She is about to lose her house, after being out of work for a time. While currently working, it's
only part time, which will not allow any benefits. Shanahan has some serious health concerns,
including diabetes, and in need of hip surgery. Shanahan has applied for local/state assistance,
but red-tape is slow to process.

If you would like to help, but need a way to do so; consider sending Shanahan some funds to help
tide over the transition to an apartment, or help with medication needs.

Funds should be send to 'Diann Thedford' (Shanahan's real name), at the following address:
Diann Thedford
c/o Lancaster Community Association
19831 Stoney Haven Dr.
Cypress, TX 77433