[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Jill Scoggins celestriaceltanhomme at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 12:28:30 PDT 2004

L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:In an effort to try to figure out how to attract new people and keep them in, here are a series of questions that I'd like as many of you as possible to answer...so that I can get a good "demographic"... keep answers brief...please...

1. What attracted you to the SCA?  The Garb and sweaty men fighting.
2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?  A time for friends to gather and celebrate the Middle Ages through research and then recreating what we discovered.  And of course just plain old comraderie.
3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household, local group, kingdom, specific activity) Household and Local Group - Going to fighter practice, mostly, just to hang out and talk to those who show up.
4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?) It took moving out of the Outlands to Calontir - 4 years
5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did they not...or why did you come back? Yes, gossiping mostly, and judgemental people.  In most cases it was about the same time that my family moved, so I just left it behind.  In other cases I left for a bit.  But, I always found my way back to fighter practices no matter where I am living (I don't fight)
6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"? Only the judgemental politics burn me out.
7. What do you get out of the SCA? A sense of belonging and comraderie.
8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to participate in the SCA? I was in the Outlands for 4 years and never got it.  I was in Calontir for (after a breif stay in Ansteorra, where I didn't play for that year) 1 year and got it (I was autocrating for the first time - Crown)

and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA and stay in it?  No matter where you live (especially in the US) you will find friends.  And as you travel, there are more friends to find and reunite with.  I have friends all over the world due to the SCA.  I wouldn't trade my time in the SCA for anything.  When I have been in need of help, be it packing my parents house, escape from an abusive relationship, or just needing a couch for the night; no matter what state I'm in at the time, someone in the Society has been there - even complete strangers - who are now life long friends.

Lorraine DeerSlayer