[Ansteorra] RE: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 14, Issue 33

Gerita/Carolle Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Mon Jul 26 08:59:25 PDT 2004

1. What attracted you to the SCA?

The history.  The clothes (yes, I love cover-everything dresses).

2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

SCA is a hobby.  History is a hobby.  A lot of my friends are SCAdians.
I could live without this group - but there'd be a hole in the fabric of
my life.

3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household,
local group, kingdom, specific activity)

The Chirurgeonate, and The Steppes.

4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying
for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

In this incarnation, about 3 months.

5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why
did they not...or why did you come back?

Yes there were.  Why didn't they?  There's plenty of space in this
organization for everyone, and certainly plenty to do in Ansteorra.  I
just found another niche.

6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there
anything anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

The concept of "burn out" is really subjective.  We keep our play down
to an average of one activity per month (besides Business Meeting),
which prevents us from getting overly exhausted.  It also keeps us from
attending every event we'd like to, which helps us keep going some
times.

7. What do you get out of the SCA?

Fun, friends, the opportunity to make clothes I really love to wear.

8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
participate in the SCA?

In toto?  About 4 years.  We played for just over 3 back in
AS-single-digits, but had to leave for family reasons.  Upon returning,
we played about 7 or 8 months before receiving our AoAs on the same day
in Duncan & Larissa's Court.

and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the
SCA and stay in it?

Why should people join the SCA?  There is no "should" about it.  This is
a fun way to play out a love of history; to actually pay attention to
little details that make up the whole.  People who enjoy that kind of
play certainly have a place in the SCA and are to be encouraged to come
and play with us.

Why should people stay?  Pretty much the same reasons - friends, fun,
and if you want it, learning.

Lorraine DeerSlayer