[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 11:58:06 PDT 2004

Lorraine asked:

>1. What attracted you to the SCA?

Vikings.  I'd always been interested in the Vikings, and this was a place
where I could be one.

>2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

Mari ferch Rathyen and I have had several long discussions about ways in
which the SCA functions like a church (not "as a religion", mind you -
rather the social, ceremonial, moral, etc. functions that a church
organization has).  The SCA provides me with community, both in the "second
family" of my close friends, and as a larger community or reasonably
like-minded folk, most if not all of whom have interests that overlap mine
to some degree.  Our courts and tournaments provide ritual and ceremony that
most of Western culture lacks outside of church environments.  And the SCA
tends to espouse "moral values" of chivalry and honor, even if we do so in
ways more reminiscent of the Victorians than of the actual medieval period,
moral values which (at least as an ideal) most of us really want to believe
in and be a part of.

Another major factor - in the "Real World (TM)" most people do not
appreciate handicrafts - your relatives look at you askance when you try to
talk about the arts you practice, and the general public very often lumps
those who practice crafts with their great-aunt Edna, who used to foist off
truly awesomely ugly crocheted afghans on everyone and kept waaay too many
cats... ;-)  The SCA, on the other hand, is a place in which lots of people
both appreciate and practice handicrafts, giving you an audience in which to
show off what you do and people with whom you can communicate intelligently
and enthusiastically about what you do.

>3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in   the SCA (household,
>local group, kingdom, specific activity)

Unquestionably the arts, SCA-wide but mostly in kingdom.  Not just doing
them, but working conscientiously as a Laurel, supporting the MOAS office
via the website, teaching, etc. etc. etc.  My research is available
everywhere via the web, and on occasion I travel to and teach in other
kingdoms as well.

>4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA   (applying
>for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

A while, at least a couple of years.  At first I was an overcommitted
college student doing SCA only when I could afford both the money and the
time.

>5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the   SCA"..why did
>they not...or why did you come back?

Absolutely.  Conflict with administrative and political details would be the
biggest problem that's affected me this way.  I didn't quit because (a) I am
just that d at mn stubborn, (b) that would be letting that ^%$#@! person "win",
and (c) I haven't devoted over twenty years of my life to a very
time-consuming and usually expensive hobby to give it up because I'm unhappy
for a very short time compared to the years of fun it's been!

Ultimately what keeps me in the SCA is that it is fun and satisfying, and in
the long run I get *MUCH* more fun, enjoyment and satisfaction out of my
participation than I get aggravation.  If that changed (i.e., more
aggravation and heartache than fun, weighed against my 20+ years), then I
*would* quit... but it would take one heck of a lot of aggravation to
outweigh the fun and friendships.

>6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out?   Is there
>anything anyone could have done to help keep you from   "burning out"?

I never got all crispy and fried.  That's mostly because I had one long
spell in which I went back to school and was quite inactive.  There have
also been a couple of times when my real day-to-day life in the form of work
and family obligations has made me be less active, which allows the SCA to
be my haven and a restorative activity when those pressures ease off.

>7. What do you get out of the SCA?

Fun.  Lots of fun.

>8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting   to
>participate in the SCA?

Five years.  I think the biggest factor in getting it was starting to take
an active participatory role in the SCA (I served as baronial chronicler)
instead of just being a passive observer.

>9. why do you think that people should join the
>   SCA and stay in it?

Not everyone should.  Sometimes SCA folk get to being total SCA evangelists
(rather like a recently reformed smoker telling everyone else they should
quit...) and there are some people who just shouldn't be in the SCA but get
dragged in anyway.  Luckily when this happens the people usually get back
out, but alas not before making themselves and folks around them quite
unhappy.

The SCA, even having grown as it has, is still like a small town.  People
know what everyone else is doing, gossip moves faster than the speed of
light or the rise of taxes, so people who are uncomfortable with their
shortcomings being quickly and widely known shouldn't join.

The SCA is also a place in which we *all* get to be performers in a very
unique kind of play-acting, and consequently we each have to be able to
share our "slice of the stage" with everyone else from time to time.  Those
who have a poor sense of self-esteem and thus have a deep need to *always*
be the center of attention and have trouble sharing "center stage" aren't
going to be happy in the SCA.

Why should people actually join and stay with the SCA?  If you find it fun
and satisfying, join and enjoy the activities.

If you have enjoyed the SCA in the past but for some reason you're not so
happy now, figure out whether you're focusing too much on stuff that's not
really what you love (doing stuff solely in the pursuit of awards, for one
example, instead of doing cool things because you enjoy doing whatever it
is) -- and if so, go back to doing the fun stuff!   Or maybe you need to
shift focus within the SCA and look at activities you might not have tried
yet.

If you used to love the SCA but now it's never any fun and there's not
anything about the activity that you find worthwhile or fun anymore, then
maybe it's time to take a little time off and do other stuff for a while.
Some people decide they want to move towards re-enactment groups that offer
more authenticity, for example, or a spinner finds out that mundane textile
arts groups are more of what they want/need.  You may want to check back
into the SCA after a while and see if it looks better then.

But the key to the SCA overall is the fact that it's our recreational time,
and if what you are doing isn't fun, if it's not something you enjoy and
love, then  why are you doing it?  Look for the enjoyment (boy, that kind of
sounded like a beer ad, didn't it?)

::GUNNVOR::