[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

kandace harris thetexladi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 13:04:26 PDT 2004

L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:In an effort to try to figure out how to attract new people and keep them in, here are a series of questions that I'd like as many of you as possible to answer...so that I can get a good "demographic"... keep answers brief...please...

1. What attracted you to the SCA?                                                                                                                                          I had always liked History and When a friend invited me to a Fighter Practice.... I was hooked....
2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?                                                                                                         The History....... From the beginning, What  surprised me was the different Guilds .From making Armor to candle making,Bardic etc.and the fact that all these things,that some of them we still use today, can be documented 500-1,000 years ago ,is just amazing to me....
3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household, local group, kingdom, specific activity)                                                                   Kingdom wide....Specific activity...going to Events...
4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)                                                                Funny you should ask that one ...I'm sure WE ALL have "first started" story....here mine ...First Fighter Practice in May ...Membership in Aug....and was in the middle of a Baronial Feast by Sept-Oct....                                                                                                         5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did they not...or why did you come back?
Yes ...and they still hurt.....but with all the things that can be done in this Kingdom....if you can find a niche....you can also find that you can do things that make you happy and most of the time,you don't even see the people that hurt your feelings...so Why let someone run you off....then they win and you lose and you don't get to play no more...                                                                     6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?                          Luckily,I have not yet ...and ....if I do ...I'll take it easy for awhile and then get back into the swing of things. I love this Game ! ! !
7. What do you get out of the SCA?                                                              Friendships that can't be beat ....I have Learned so Much.... There is so much information to grasp...to put it into my-tiny-little-brain...to be at an Event and your just watching something,and a breeze will blow in your face and you close your eyes and for that moment ,..your there ...the sounds, the smells ...it is in the wind of your dreams...
8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to participate in the SCA?
 Maybe alittle over 2 years?
and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA and stay in it?
It is just Good Clean Fun....and you always see something new at any Event...and the People ...I think we have Ivory Soap people...99 44/100% of the populace have that Chivalry attitude about them ....Believe me...the first time a 6' 2" Warrior,dressed in Armor,got down on one knee and kissed my hand ,....I was a goner....
                                                                                                                    Lorraine DeerSlayer