[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Don and Monica dmriney at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 13:07:29 PDT 2004

Mistress Lorraine asked :
> 1. What attracted you to the SCA?

The idea of "honor first". The dream of romance, The thought of noble
warriors The Ideals of a hollywood King Arthur. My brother paying for my
first event.

> 2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

It is what I do for fun, I enjoy reaching back into dusty tomes of lore and
crafts and learning to make something that could have adorned a King or
Queen, or telling tales and seeing in the eyes of my audience that they, as
I, still quest for those ideals that the SCA lets me chase with out a modern
stigma of what's "correct" and what is not

> 3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household,
local group, kingdom, specific activity)

Currently Kingdom as Star Signet, but it has been all of the above at one
time or another

> 4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for
an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

3 months in but I stoped a short time later and started to take initiative
again about 3 years into playing SCA. I had to learn to look before leaping
in, to ensure I wasn't landing on other peoples dreams

> 5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did
they not...or why did you come back?

Sure. Usually these came about when I started taking myself to seriously or
put the SCA before real life. I didn't fade out forever because I had good
friends who were willing to stand in the fury of my temper and tell me I was
screwed in the head. These same said friends are why I kept putting on these
funny clothes and playing at being from another time and place

> 6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything
anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

I came the closest to "burning out" when I got so wrapped up in what I was
doing I thought that no one else could take my place. Fortunately I was
reminded that the cemeteries of the world are full of indispensable men.

> 7. What do you get out of the SCA?

An audience (OK, so I'm a large sugar cured ham with an equal dose of
vanity!) I also get camaraderie, and the pleasure of exchanging Idea's and
Ideals with those of similar and opposing viewpoints. I get the chance to
have a duel and then go have a beer with the friend I have just traded blows
with.

> 8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
participate in the SCA?

3.5 years

> and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA
and stay in it?

Because they are having fun and enjoy some aspect of what we do. If we don't
enjoy something, we should find out why and if needed set it aside for
something else we do enjoy.

Darius of the Bells

---