[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Sandra Gutridge siobhanon at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 15:16:00 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-bounces+siobhanon=sbcglobal.net at ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-bounces+siobhanon=sbcglobal.net at ansteorra.org] On Behalf
Of L T
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 8:53 PM
To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

In an effort to try to figure out how to attract new people and keep them
in, here are a series of questions that I'd like as many of you as possible
to answer...so that I can get a good "demographic"... keep answers
brief...please...

1. What attracted you to the SCA?

Garb - feast - friendship

2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

A huge game of "Let's dress up and let's pretend" and Sorry (someone can
send you back to the beginning  -  Sorrrrry.

3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household, local
group, kingdom, specific activity)

Local now

4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for
an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

Six months

5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did
they not...or why did you come back?

ABSOLUTELY!  I stayed because of people I care about who have earned my
respect and because I still enjoy making pretty garb.

6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything
anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

It was an emotional burn out. As long as I focus on the fact that I am no
more than the mother of two rapier fighters, one of whom is a youth rapier
fighter, I can feel like I belong with the group again.

7. What do you get out of the SCA?

Interaction with great people I never would have met otherwise.

8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
participate in the SCA?

and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA
and stay in it?

I got an AoA about one year after I started playing, but since I got sent
back to the beginning it is totally irrelevant. There is only one reason to
join and stay in the SCA and that is because you enjoy socializing with the
people you meet there and participating in SCA activities. It is a good
learning experience for my kids. But the more people who join, the bigger
the bureaucracy.

Lorraine DeerSlayer