[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Celeste Shelton teacherceleste at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:32:21 PDT 2004

>In an effort to try to figure out how to attract new people and keep them
>in, here are a series of questions that I'd like as many of you as possible
>to answer...so that I can get a good "demographic"... keep answers
>brief...please...
>
>1. What attracted you to the SCA?

A friend told me about this great group he had visited.  We didn't have a
group in our city, so we decided to start one.  We formed a group before I
had ever attended an event.  LOL

>2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

To me the SCA is a hobby where my second family meets.  Although it is a
hobby, 90% of my friends are in this group and my entire mundane family is
involved.  It is a really secure knowledge that no matter where in this
world that I might move, there will be some people with whom I can relate
and become involved with.

>3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household,
>local group, kingdom, specific activity)

Kingdom level.  Right now I am working with the treasurer's office.  For the
last 5 years it was MOC.   Before that I was involved in performing Bardic.
Ask me again in a few years.  LOL

>4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for
>an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

I was the treasurer of our new group before we were a group.  I sent in my
membership and took office the same day.  Since then I have been a
chronicler, MOC, treasurer, autocrat, feastocrat ( a lot of times), gopher,
field herald, waterbearer,  etc.  I wouldn't know how to enjoy an event that
I just "attended".   :)

>5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"..why did
>they not...or why did you come back?

When my child was born, there were not as many people in the society with
children and so I did lay out for a while.  Thankfully now that has changed
and I wouldn't have to do the same.  There are always people with whom you
will not agree.  There are always people who would prefer that "someone" get
out of their game.  However, I have never felt that everyone has to like you
so I just hang out with the people who do like me.  (Or at least pretend
too.  LOLOL)

>6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything
>anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

Whenever I reach near burnout, I find a new part of the game to play.  I
have never really slowed down, just changed direction.

>7. What do you get out of the SCA?

Fun, family, satisfaction, creativity, a sense of belonging, a place to
perform without fear.

>8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to
>participate in the SCA?

About 3 years.  Our small group didn't really know about award
recommendations.

>and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA
>and stay in it?

I think people who join the SCA are generally looking for a place to have
fun and belong.  If you don't have fun, you should find something else to
do.

Saundra
Coastal Treasurer