[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

Zubeydah zubeydah at northkeep.org
Mon Jul 26 16:01:20 PDT 2004

1. What attracted you to the SCA?

- It was a natural progression to move from what I'd been exposed to as a child (Mom = medieval art history major. I remember singing a rhyme about the wives of King Henry the Eighth at age 12, and being able to differentiate between a Pre-Raphaelite and a Dutch Master around the same time.)

> 2. What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?

- The SCA is an outlet for the two major driving forces of my personality: Creativity and service. I am most fully myself when 'doing' for others, or when up to my neck in six artsy-crafty projects. The SCA gives me a wide "palette" of art forms to play with. It's a classroom, a social club, a giant craft faire, and an outlet for who and what I am. It's also filled with some of the coolest folks I've found anywhere.

> 3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA (household, local group, kingdom, specific activity)

- My focus has shifted from my local group to the Northern Region as a whole, since taking on Waterbearer responsibilities. However, I am still very heavily focused on events and activities in my local group as a waterbearer, doing web site work, etc. I am also enjoying the fun of helping on the kingdom level with small bits of tribute/largess here and there, scrolls, and such. Greedily enjoying the best of all possible worlds, I guess.

> 4. How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA (applying for an office, organizing an activity, etc.?)

- After rejoining with the SCA (after a long departure) in late summer of 2002, got involved teaching a class for children at that year's wInterKingdom. So, about 2 months after meeting Susan the Curious, and Amanda & Thormund Blackwolf at a Northkeep Fighter Practice.

> 5. Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA". Why did they not...or why did you come back?

- Left after my third event, back in 1987 - I was 17 and starry-eyed.  ("Nice try, dear, but.." *sniff* "Those sleeves...") Left until 2002. When I moved to Tulsa, I was feeling very out of sorts and missing my 'own kind of weirdoes'... so I took a chance and sought out the SCA again. I'm glad I did.

> 6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn out? Is there anything anyone could have done to help keep you from "burning out"?

- Haven't burned out since returning. Am pacing myself with activities, so I don't, and when my judgement falters on how much I can do, my husband wisely suggests gentle curbs to my enthusiasm. We go to what events we can, financially and time wise, and don't stress about those I can't make. (Theoretically. *grin*)

> 7. What do you get out of the SCA?

- Fulfillment, freedom of expression, opportunities for service, friendship.

> 8. If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to participate in the SCA?

- Once back in, it was less than a year, but I'd kind of gone overboard with initial participation and volunteering. Received AoA from the hands of Miguel & Conal at the 2003 Crown Tournament held in the Northern Region. Feet didn't touch the ground for hours.

> and last but not least...why do you think that people should join the SCA and stay in it?

- I don't think it's for everyone, but I think for many people of diverse backgrounds and interests, it provides a haven of like-minded individuals. There's generally a 'live and let live' or attitude of outright acceptance to diversity in belief, personality, interests, etc., in the SCA, and that's a wonderful thing. I usually tell people, 'No matter what your hobby is, someone is doing it, learning it, teaching it in the SCA, in a way you've probably never thought of, along with a dozen other things you've never heard of, but will totally excite you to learn. Check it out. It's oodles of fun.'

- zubeydah jamilla al-badawiyya
NR/NK wbic