[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

cyranobcc at netzero.net cyranobcc at netzero.net
Tue Jul 27 14:58:06 PDT 2004

Hmm, ok, I'll play.

1.  What attracted you to the SCA?
     An interest in history and research; an opportunity to do things I
     would not "normally" do; a chance to live out a fantasy life (or
     at least part of one).

2.  What is your perspective of what the SCA is to you?
     An opportunity to "step out of" my normal life, where mundane
     cares and concerns don't exist; a stress-reliever; a chance to
     see and experience things I would not be able to otherwise; a
     place to play with friends.

3.  Where do you invest the most time and energy in the SCA...?
     Friends, rapier fighting, local group, Kingdom.

4.  How long before you started to take initiative in the SCA...?
     Almost immediately.  I was on officer in the first group I played
     with within the first month (things were a little simpler then).

5.  Were there instances that could have "run you out of the SCA"...why did they not...or why did you come back?
     No.  This is a hobby, and for fun to me. I don't take it, or
     myself, too seriously.  I let things that bother me "run off",
     and find others things to do.  That's the nice thing about the
     SCA -- there is always so much to do; if one doesn't work, there
     are always others.

6.  How long before you burned out?  Why...?
      I have never "burned out".  I've had a couple enforced absences
      due to mundane life (i.e. -- career, family, work hours) that
      caused gaps in my time with the SCA;  I've always come back
      because I enjoy it.

7.  What do you get out of the SCA?
     Friends, fun, fantasy, a chance to be someone else for a while,
     exercise, an outlet for my soul.

8.  If you have your AoA...how long did you get it after starting to participate in the SCA?
     About 6-7 months.

...why do you think that people should join the SCA and stay in it?

Now this one's a little more complex.  From previous answers it's easy to see we all had different reasons for joining, and just as many reasons for staying.  I think that is what it's all about -- the SCA is so many things to so many people; it has so much to offer, so many diverse and interesting activities and people -- things you can't find anywhere else.  Plus, for me, it's a place where ordinary people become heroes, where the fantasy becomes reality, and where "honor" is more than just a word -- it's a way of life.

I had a relative newcomer express it quite simply at AAA to me.  It was late in the day, the fighting on the field was over, a few people were still sitting around talking;but for the most part people had gone about other business.  Typically there was armour, weapons, and equipment strewn about the ground, pavilions with all manner of "stuff" left for the next day.  He was amazed that literally thousands of dollars of gear was just left unattended, with little thought to whether it would be there when the owners came back.  His comment was, "Only in the SCA."

Brian mac Cael