[Ansteorra] Modern and Period thoughts.

ED Reese edreese at swbell.net
Fri Jun 4 23:02:42 PDT 2004

Here's one, however hazy that it might be -- one archaic meaning of
'franchise' is to right to vote. A man who was 'enfranchised', could vote
for his representative, or in a straight democratic election for a person
or an issue. "Exercise your franchise" used to be an election slogan ~!

This is from oop, at least from where I know it, in the American Colonial
and Revolutionary days. And yes, it was tied into property. If a man was
'landed', he was considered a safer custodian of the interests of the
government, because it was his own self-interest.

Esther