[Ansteorra] re: Nigerian Scam Comes to the Phone

Alla myskila at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 10:51:21 PST 2004

I work as a relay operator. We are not allowed to give out any information regarding where the call is coming from. If the operator just introduced themselves as a "relay CA" without giving the state, the person was using relay through online.

Relay operators are not allowed to testify about anything they hear in court, or even notify the police unless it's a "matter of national security," they are specifically requested to do so, or possibly if they are being threatened.

They're working right now on figuring out how to keep people from using the service for credit card fraud without restricting the rights and all of the people who need the service. Let me tell you, I get some calls that I just start rolling my eyes about as soon as they start, but I can't do a danged thing about it without breaking laws and getting fired and all that fun stuff.

So, yeah, the operator was protecting him/herself legally by not giving out information. Just an FYI.

 - Alasa