[Ansteorra] Merchanting in TX

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 14:30:47 PST 2004

loveofhalesworth wrote:

>Brian is correct, here is the easiest way. First go to your local county court house pay the $25 to $35 fee (estimating only) San Jacinto County is $25, in which to register your business. You can register it as a home based business that travels in the state of Texas. You may register it in your name or choose a business name this allows you to open a business account at a bank and you will then be able to accept checks in whichever name you choose. 

Unfortunately, this *also* means that you'll start getting junk mail 
sent to your business address as well.

>This also allows you to keep a seperate record for your business and allows you to file a business tax return under your businesses name. Second call the Attorney General's office they have an 800 and ask them for the nearest office to you in which to file for a sale's tax license. The license is free and if you deal directly with a local office you manage to get your license within 30 days. If you do it by mail it could take 3 to 4 months. I am a food merchant and I also needed a certificate of health and those can be aquired a!
> t your
> local health department and cost range from $15 to $25 after taking a class and they are good for 4 years unless you take the managers class and those are good for 5 years. You are then ready to sell your wares to all of us who love to visit the merchants tents. Good luck and we look forward to visiting you when you get set up.

Note that *some* businesses don't need a sales tax permit. Moondragon 
Massage, for example, since it's a "service" rather than selling a 
tangible thing, doesn't need a permit (although I *do* need to keep my 
certification updated with the Health Department.) The nice people at 
the state tax office can usually tell you what you need to know.

    -Tivar Moondragon

More information about the Ansteorra mailing list