Infringing Copyrights RE: [Ansteorra] looking for song

Barat barat at cox.net
Sat Oct 30 17:35:47 PDT 2004

Sorry for the late response to this, but I've been out of circulation
for two weeks.

The information you presented on copyright is incorrect. The following
information is taken directly from U.S. Copyright Circular 1: Copyright
Basics.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

and the information on fair use includes information taken from the
1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of
the U.S. Copyright Law which sites the findings of several court cases
concerning fair use. Please note the information on parodies as it is
directly applicable to S.C.A. song "filking".

Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works
of authorship including: literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic
works - such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and
architecture

A work is under Copyright protection the moment it’s: created and fixed
in a tangible form so that it is perceptible either directly or with
the aid of a machine or device (such as a computer or tape/CD player).

How long does copyright last? For works created after January 1, 1978,
copyright protection will endure for the life of the author plus an
additional 70 years. In the case of a joint work, the term lasts for 70
years after the last surviving author’s death. For anonymous and
pseudonymous works and works made for hire, the term will be 95 years
from the year of first publication or 120 years from the year of
creation, whichever expires first.

What about Fair Use? Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright
statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including:
quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting or
scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a
specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or
percentages of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use
depends on all the circumstances.

The distinction between “fair use” and infringement may be unclear and
not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or
notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the
source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining
permission.

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision
of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have
regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism
for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in
a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the
author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the
work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations,
in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to
replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of
a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work
in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and
fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located
in the scene of an event being reported.”

What is a copyright notice? A copyright notice is an identifier placed
on copies of the work to inform the world of copyright ownership. While
use of a copyright notice was once required as a condition of copyright
protection, it is now optional. Use of the notice is the responsibility
of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or
registration with, the Copyright Office.

Do I have to register with the Copyright Office to be protected? No.
However, you will have to register if you with to bring a lawsuit for
infringement of a U.S. work.

If protection is automatic, why register?
To have the facts of your copyright on the public record
To have a certificate of registration
Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney’s
fees in a successful litigation
If a work that is not registered is infringed, only actual damages may
be recovered
If a work is registered within 5 years of publication, it is considered
prima facie evidence in a court of law

The bottom line is this: if you don't have written permission from the
copyright holder, or if the copyright holder has not been dead for 70
years (for works created after 1978), you may not use their work for
any purpose except those listed in the fair use section of copyright
law. To use someone else's work that is currently under copyright
without their permission is STEALING. Not sort of, not kind of, it's
stealing plain and simple.

By the way, that 15% change in someone else's work you mentioned is
nothing but an urban legend. If you make changes in someone else's work
- no matter how little or how much - and then use that work you are in
violation of U.S. copyright law and are infringing the author's
copyright. Get permission or stick to the uses allowed under fair use.

You may notice I have rather strong feelings on this subject (or why
would I have spent the time writing this). As a graphic designer
mundanely I have had other steal my work and present it as their own -
it has also happened to me twice within the S.C.A.

H.L. Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
M.K.A. Stephen Pursley
Barony of Namron
Kingdom of Ansteorra