[Ansteorra] Price of Gas and Travel in the Kingdom

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 25 17:10:06 PDT 2004

Burke McCrory wrote:

> I know that this question was raised a while back but it came up on
> the SCA wide pelican list recently and I was curious how it is viewed
> today after many months of these higher gas prices.   Ansteorra is one
> of the largest land area Kingdoms in the SCA (the largest in the
> continental US).  We have groups in all areas of the Kingdom (13
> baronies and 30 shires/cantons/etc.)  and on average 2 to 4 events
> most weekends.
>
> So here is the question,  With the price of gas at an all time high
> (on average) and no change in sight (except possible increases) how
> has this affected your travel plans?

Not appreciably. I've actually been going to *more* events in the past
few months.

> Do you attend as many local meetings as you have in past?

Local events, no change. I don't go to the Baronial business meeting or
Tuesday fighter practice because of my work schedule; gas prices have
nothing to do with it.

> Will you be attending more or less events in the coming months than in
> the past?

Probably more.

> Will you be attending out of Kingdom events (such as Pensic and Gulf
> Wars)?

No, but that has to do with school schedules (for Pennsic) and my
daughter geting married next year (for Gulf War.) Gas prices don't enter
into the equation. If I want to go to an event, I go.

    -Tivar Moondragon