[Ansteorra] Price of Gas and Travel in the Kingdom

ChuckandRhonda Leggett poppabrick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 20:39:27 PDT 2004

Burke McCrory <bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us> wrote:
>>I know that this question was raised a while back but it came up on the SCA
wide pelican list recently and I was curious how it is viewed today after
many months of these higher gas prices. Ansteorra is one of the largest
land area Kingdoms in the SCA (the largest in the continental US). We have
groups in all areas of the Kingdom (13 baronies and 30
shires/cantons/etc.) and on average 2 to 4 events most weekends.

>>So here is the question, With the price of gas at an all time high (on
average) and no change in sight (except possible increases) how has this
affected your travel plans?

It has always been difficult for our family of six to travel distances due to budget constraints. We are a large family with a single income. ( we homeschool so another income won't happen for still a few years, our youngest is 5)  Site fees and gas prices as well as the cost of food for the weekend have always figured prominently in our plans for attending events.  The increased price of gas will definitely limit the distance and frequency we will be able to travel to events in the foreseeable future.

>>Do you attend as many local meetings as you have in past?

The gas prices will not change our attendance at local meetings and events. We live fairly central to all meetings ( a number of which are held at our home)  and events held in our Barony.

>>Will you be attending more or less events in the coming months than in the
past?

The past year and a half has seen a slow down in our attendance due to remodeling efforts at our home. However, as things near completion (we hope), we were looking forward to becoming more active in the not too distant future. Looks like that may change as the price of gas ( right now about about $60 per tank for 35 gallons of regular, and we get an average of about 16-17 mpg  without towing the trailer, the trailer drops the mileage to around 13 mpg ).

>>Will you be attending out of Kingdom events (such as Pensic and Gulf Wars)?

Sadly we will not likely be able to continue attending Gulf Wars with much frequency until our budget increases or prices decrease some. With the cost of gas and insurance ( health, homeowners, auto ) continuing to rise faster than the salary, it just isn't something we will be able to easily afford. Towing decreases the gas mileage we get in the van and we have to tow a trailer to fit enough food and gear for us all for a week of camping.

Lady Tabitha Baker

House Brick

Barony of Bryn Gwlad