[Ansteorra] Looking for a translator/artisan...

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 08:21:32 PDT 2005

Zubeydah said:
>Honestly, I know little to nothing about the runic alphabets. I'm looking
>for something that would have been used in Denmark, perhaps around 900 AD.
>I am more concerned about authenticity, than whether or not it's a font or
>hand-drawn. If hand-drawn, the image needs to be extremely legible.

The runes, of course, changed from place to place and evolved over time as
well.  By the Viking Age, the usual futhark had only 16 runes (which differs
from the New Age books that usually base themselves on the Elder Futhark,
which is much older).

For the runic alphabet you need, see: http://www.arild-hauge.com/edruner.htm

Runic spellings are purely phonetic.  In order to get an idea of how various
sounds were spelled, you can look at how names were interpreted using Lena
Peterson's Nordiskt runnamnslexikon (Dictionary of Scandinavian Names from
Runic Inscriptions):

Nordiskt runnamnslexikon (In Swedish)
http://www.sofi.se/SOFIU/runlex/

Nordiskt runnamnslexikon (rough English translation)
A huge zipped PDF. You will need a utility to unzip the file -- for example,
the shareware tool WinZip (http://www.winzip.com) -- and you will need a
copy of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, available at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/FTP_Files/NordisktRunnamnslexicon.zip

Each rune represents a sound, and some runes are used to represent more than
one sound.  For instance, the ON word <dóttir>, "daughter" appears in runes

It's not particularly simple to translate an English phrase into Old Norse.
There isn't a "English-to-Old-Norse Dictionary" really available.  Then you
get to think about the fact that our Old Norse dictionaries show a
normalized form of Old Norse from 13th c. Iceland -- and there are
significant differences in spelling and pronunciation in east Scandinavia
(Denmark and Sweden) vs. west Scandinavia (Norway, Iceland, and other
colonies in the Atlantic).

Mistress Brynhildr Kormaksdóttir might be able to help you.

::GUNNVOR::