[Ansteorra] Renaissance handwriting

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 07:33:16 PST 2005

Thanks for sharing the site. Great place for those with a deep sense of
curiosity about everything written in Period.

Interesting online course. Gives a whole new look and aspect as to what the
SCA might use for documents. Might be useful for writing "passports" when
one kingdom's gentle goes to another kingdom and wants to be greeted in an
official way. The problem would be in finding a recipient in the visited
kingdom who could read the information as written in the styles offered for
study in this UK course.

Of what is shown, this course seems to be about transcribing the information
in the document into a modern interpretation. Apparently, you are to look at
each lesson's document,figure out what the writer was saying, then write
your own transcription in the provided area with the provided tool bar.
Granted, mine was only a perfunctory glance, but are you to do this with no
prior training? I am assuming that some reply will be sent back as to how
accurate you are?

It looks like the 28 lesson course is divided into many levels of rated
difficulty, the last really needing a dedicated scholar. Abbreviations are
included in the documents. Interpreting them correctly could be difficult
and might need intuition if a guide is not available. Was it one of Drogin's
books that gave a short page of common abbreviations?

All in all, you are right when you say it is a course of paleography rather
than calligraphy how-to. It is interesting, and I have marked it for going
back and looking at more closely, even though it has only a place of
curiosity for me, as a practicing scribe (mundanely as well as for the SCA).
When I am commissioned, I am required to execute pieces more comfortable for
those with current eyes. I wouldn't think these are, but then you never
know. ;-)

Thanks again,
HL Lete Bithespring