[Ansteorra] It's (ALMOST) Time!

David Backlin edrei at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 07:51:28 PST 2005

It's (almost) time for Cracked Anvil . In one month's time, the Shire of Smythkepe puts on it's annual "fun" event of the Winter. This year's theme is La Maison de Valois (France 1328-1548).

For the fighters, we offer you the Smythkepe Rapier Defender Tourney, a Children's Champion Rapier Tourney, and a Swiss Five Heavy Weapons Tourney (hmmm... "Heavy Weapons"... is that anything like "Heavy Metal"?). Also featuring a Menage a Trois Boffer Dagger Duel, plus a Thrown Weapons Tourney.

For the non-fighters we offer Archery, Brewing Competitions (wines, cordials, meads, beers), Children's Activities (limited to children only, NOT the childish... unless you want to help out) , Brewing Competitions (beers, meads, cordials, & wines), and of course, Classes (this is Smythkepe, we ALWAYS have class ;) ). What kind of classes? How about "How to run a List", "How to be a Live Weapons Marshall", "Period looking Encampments" (HEY! Just in time for Gulf Wars), Beginning Spinning and several more!

And let's not forget our Knight in Paris feast lovingly crafted by our own Morin inghen Ruaric including :

- Salat Nicoise with Basic Vinaigrette
- Herbed Chicken in Wine Sauce
- Mushrooms la Fallon
- Rice Almondine with Currants

and much, much more!

You want more? How about Plague Frog (Mourner's Guild not included)? How about a Dessert Buffet? How about Merchants?

Where is this, you ask? At the Franklin County Fairgrounds in Ozark, AR.

When? February 19 AS XXXIX (2005)

Site Fee: $7.00 (non-members add $3.00) Feast Fee: $7.00

Children 13-17: Deduct $1.00 from Adult Fees

Children 8-12: Site fee $3.50; With Feast $7.00

5 and under: no charge

Bring a dessert for the buffet and get $1.00 off!

Feast is limited to 100 people (after that, we'll give you directions to the A&W).

Site is Discreetly Wet (Period containers only. Please take your empties home with you!)

Directions:

Take your best route to I-40 in Arkansas

Take Exit 35 (AR 23 Ozark/Huntsville) and turn South

Follow AR 23 approx 3 miles to Jct US 64 at Ozark.

Turn West on US 64 and go approx 7/10 miles to 29th Street (there is a Phillips 66 station and an OG&E office on the corner).

Turn North on 29th Street and go approx ½ mile to the fairgrounds (on your right).

Site opens at 8am Saturday February 19th and closes 11am Sunday February 20th. "Community" crash space will be available Saturday night only. For information on local motels, please contact the Reservationist, Ly Bridget O'Fallon (Cathy Simkins) simkcat at aol.com . A limited number of RV spaces are available on site. Information on these may also be obtained through Ly Bridget.

For more information, please visit our webpage: http://www.smythkepe.org/pages/5/index.htm

ALSO: Saturday Night will feature what we're calling "The Ol' Order Changeth". What does that mean? You'll just have to come and find out (do-dah! do-dah!) ;)