[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:29:54 PDT 2005

I guess to me, the your reasoning is exaclty WHY we should strive for better
language.  I don't want to give up sanitation, but I can say "Steward" for
free.  "Troll" isn't an allowance for comfort.  And, as Master Robin pointed
out, most folks who care REALLY only care where use of silly terms ruins the
medieval ambiance.  Many of these terms date from the time before the SCA
was incorporated as an EDUCATIONAL organization.  Folks seem quick to point
out the word "anachronism" in our name but conveniently for get that we've
evolved away at least to SOME degree from the first party into something
that should be so much more than a medieval fantasy theme party.  And I say
"should" because by our official documents, we declare ourselves to be more
than a theme party.

Oh, I think the notion that the words are somehow offensive to those who do
the job is silly.  I doubt any gate worker has ever been offended by the
silly term "troll" for example.  But I've never met an event steward who was
at all autocratic who was at all effective,  and I've CERTAINLY never met
anyone in the SCA who ran an event who fit the dictionary deffintion of
autocrat...  a despot or someone with unlimited power.

Just my take on the whole deal
Centurion Morgan Buchanan