[Ansteorra] RE: the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:53:11 PDT 2005

>...Ok, let's take your notion and apply it fully.
>NO electricity
>NO running water
>NO indoor plumbing
>NO way to make ice to preserve food
>NO propane gas appliences
>NO coffee OR tea
>NO concept of sanitation

Actually, that sounds pretty interesting to me - although I would suggest
that the last one should be "a -medieval- concept of sanitation".  OTOH, I
know I'm not the norm on this (suggest a "primitive site" to people and they
start to edge away from you slowly).

Your rant is interesting, but inherently flawed.  No one is _telling_ anyone
that people have to do it THEIR way.  Mostly there have been comments that
X,Y, or Z isn't accurate, but if you want to do it, go for it.  That sounds
to me like the -opposite- of telling people that they HAVE to do it a
proscribed way.

This is the SCA, which as harsh as it seems to say it, has virtually no
standards regarding authenticity or accuracy (beyond, as Gunnora says, an
_attempt_ at pre-1600 attire).  Therefore people who would try to tell you
that you HAVE to do anything have no ground to stand on.

MOST of the people I know who do authenticity have found that it's really
fun and cool and want to share it because they believe you might find it as
much fun as they do.

Marc/Diarmaid