[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 08:52:54 PDT 2005

Well Stated!!!!

george basore <murray_kinsman at yahoo.com> wrote:"The time has come", the walrus said, "to speak of
many things, of accuracy and authenticity, of misery
and plague."
Ok, everybody out of the pool! This has degenerated
down to an argument over what who thought the Dream
was in the beggining.
Was it intended to be critically acurate in
depicting life in medieval times? If so, where did the
line ,"life in the middle ages, as it should have
been"
come from, can you tell me that?
Ok, let's take your notion and apply it fully.
NO electricity
NO running water
NO indoor plumbing
NO way to make ice to preserve food
NO propane gas appliences
NO coffee OR tea
NO concept of sanitation

Are y'all starting to see where this is going?
Obviously, we made some allowances for modern comfort
along the way. So now we are going to get into a
dither over WORDS? Over whether or not some
hypothetical Mundane might be offended? Let me say
this now, any Mundane that comes to an event, and is
offended by the use of the word "TROLL" came to the
event LOOKING for an excuse to be offended!
I am not going to go out of my way to insult or
offend anyone, but I'm not going to break my back
trying NOT to offend them either. I WILL behave
chivalrously towards all, and treat no one better or
worse than anyone else, until and unless an individual
goes out of their way to offend me.

You see, the "authenticity police" don't care about
authenticity, that is just an excuse to get you to do
things their way. The issue is CONTROL, they are
control freeks! This whole HOORAH is an excuse to
make others bend to their will.

I have a piece of advice for all "authenticity
police". Do NOT expect to win if you enter MY camp.

Ship's Captain "Black" Robert Haddock
Incipient Canton of River's Run