[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 13:31:28 PDT 2005

OK...I never said you dress cavalier...I have never even met you that I am aware of:)...I know many who do because the  hats etc are " really great looking" personally I love the look of the dresses , especially from the court of Louis xv...  and you can dress cavalier if you have a 14th century dutch persona:) ....but the term" Pirate " as the descriptive name for " Privateers"was not in use.( as I said earlier), to the best of my knowledge, until much later. Even the term "privateer" came into use late in what we refer to as " period" in the sca
I never said pirates weren't period, just that this isn't what they were called, until you are right the buccaneers...piracy is most likely as old as prostitution :) ( which as you know is called the world's oldest profession)
Einin)

Duncan MacNamara <duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Please note the word ATTEMPT in those documents...and if we are going to
>attack on that basis of pre 16th and pre 17th century...what about the
>people who wear cavalier and try to state they are "pirates"...privateers
>were somewhat period...well late period...but pirates were ..iff memory
>serves...18th centuryy and later.

>From several book sources, I have proven time and time again that piracy has
existed since man has travelled on water. The hollywood-esque pirate, yes,
ranges from approximately 1640 when the Buccaneers formed the "Brothers of
the Coast" until about 1807 or so (rough estimate) with the emergence of
steam-powered vessels. However, *my* persona for example was born in 1573 in
Ireland, forced out of his familys lands and ended up leaving the country
aboard a merchant vessel, which was later captured by.... drumroll...
privateers. Which all of us in the "trade" knows that one nations privateer
is another nation's pirate.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to do better than simple "pirates aren't period".
And I do *not* dress up as a cavalier.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
Captain of the 'Iron Lotus'
Commodore of the Allied Outlanders Fleet