[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:50:16 PDT 2005

>OK...I never said you dress cavalier...I have never even met you that I am
>aware of:)...I know many who do because the  hats etc are " really great
>looking" personally I love the look of the dresses , especially from the
>court of Louis xv...  and you can dress cavalier if you have a 14th century
>dutch persona:) ....but the term" Pirate " as the descriptive name for "
>Privateers"was not in use.( as I said earlier), to the best of my
>knowledge, until much later. Even the term "privateer" came into use late
>in what we refer to as " period" in the sca
>I never said pirates weren't period, just that this isn't what they were
>called, until you are right the buccaneers...piracy is most likely as old
>as prostitution :) ( which as you know is called the world's oldest
>profession)
>Einin)

*nods* well... I *do* wear the hat, lol. My garb is often a mis-match of
periods/cultures if you get technical. I wear what I find comfortable,
though I am always improving my garb in some way or another. My excuse for
my garb is one that I learned very early on in my experiences with the
SCA... I travel the knowne world via ship... I pick up clothing, weaponry,
and other items along the way. But I also play my persona from more of an
"SCA is the knowne world" standpoint than an "accurate historical" one...
and I do try to document most of what I wear/do.

One of the sketchier things my camp usually has is it's cannon... The barrel
is "as close to period as we can afford and still be safe to fire" for our
cannon-firing demos, and it resembles a period-style carronade barrel, but
it is on a slightly OOP style naval carriage... once again, a compromise
between what can be afforded, and what is actually period. Course... to get
into nit-picking about weaponry, we'd have to forbid those cheap pakistani
and chinese blades people like to carry because they're cheap, lol. Not
saying that you personally are nit-picking... just making a point for those
other people out there who like to pick at things they don't like or agree
with, but let other things go because they are used to them being around.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
Captain of the 'Iron Lotus'
Commodore of the Allied Outlanders Fleet