[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 19:57:52 PDT 2005

I will admit to using the handicapped stalls, but try to do so if there is
no one that needs it more than I at the time. I am not what anyone would
call 'handicapped' but I do find that some facilities have seats that are
much lower than my knees want to bend, especially if I have been on my feet
a lot during the day. I am also not as petite as I was in high school and as
I hit the mid century mark, find that maneuvering in some of these stalls is
dang near impossible, especially in a long gown. There are many places where
I have had to straddle the toilet in order to open or close the door to the
stall. As far as using it to change clothes...Yeah, I've done that too, but
rarely and I try to do it quickly and only to a point where I am reasonably
'decent' so that I am not exposing something everytime the door to the
restroom is opened.

Most of us don't mean to be inconsiderate, but there are facility design
issues that are problems for us, too, and as has been mentioned
before...just because we don't look 'handicapped' doesn't mean that we don't
have mobility issues. Handicapped facillities are not 'just' for handicapped
people. A place must have X number of stalls in total and y percent of them
must be handicapped accessible. They are still included in the total number
which includes facilities for ALL people. Anyone can use them, but it is
expected that non-handicapped people will give handicapped persons priority.
I think that most of us do just that, IF we know that someone has a
disabilty. If we don't, then it is possible that a handicapped person will
end up waiting...possibly for a non handicapped person who is having a bit
of trouble moving about after a long day. Heaven knows we all have taken our
turn at waiting in most places.

Most events have web pages or advertisements in the Blackstar or other
publications. I don't know of anyone who would get upset at getting a call
or email from someone asking about parking, camping, or anything else and I
truly believe that most stewards would go over backwards to make
accomodations available if possible. To drive a long distance and find that
an event is not prepared for people with disabilities is frustrating, I am
sure, but a simple phone call or email would make such a trip either
unnecessary or at least have things taken care of before you got there.

Communication seems to be key to a lot of the things that have been
discussed here. I see a lot of comments about problems, but little about
things that have gone well as seems to be the norm. Again we appear to do a
lot of complaining, but little acknowledging of the positive aspects of
things. Things don't change if we don't make positive efforts at them, but
we need positive reinforcement, too. Negativity just makes everyone find
something to complain about and starts making all of us and everything we do
look bad.

I would encourage all event stewards to consider the mobility issues and try
to make some positive changes. Perhaps one of the front tables at feasts
would be set a bit farther apart to accomodate our wheelchair bound guests
and they and their families get priority seating at that table. The table
should be marked 'reserved' for that purpose. It will be important that
pre-reserved feast participants let the steward know how many seats they
will need at that table and how many wheelchair spaces will be needed. The
table can be opened up to non handicapped participants if the table isn't
filled.

It is likewise important for those with disabilities to start calling the
stewards of events ahead of time to make sure that parking and camping needs
are accomodated as much as possible. As the stewards are made more aware by
these calls, the calls should become less needed and the accomodations made
automatically as much as can be. The earlier these things can be taken care
of, the less chance there is that a disabled guest will find a frazzled
steward scrambling for parking in an already full lot, or a campsite where
there are already campers and telling them...'I'm sorry, but we just can't
do it.'

As far as anyone telling somebody that their wheelchair spoils things for
them...Just give me a holler. I don't have any problems dealing with people
like that. I've heard of folks that complain about people wearing glasses
and having it spoil the ambience, but no one has ever said it to me. I'd
love to take mine off and give both of their blurry faces a good talking to.

In Service,

Lyneya de Grey