[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 18:57:04 PDT 2005

Rosalia wrote:

 Please, please, please put in site announcements if it is
wheelchair accessible, if electricity is available for the disabled, and/or
any feature that could be handicap friendly.

Excellent point, Mistress Rosalia!

I know that I missed an event that was very near my home because I did have
a friend scope out the site and there was no way to get a wheelchair into
the bathroom!

My "other" pet peeve is when people who are not handicapped use that
restroom stall or porta-privy when the others are open and available! Or
using it to change their clothes. Almost as much as people who aren't
handicapped parking in a reserved spot.

How about when a peerage circle is called and the only way to it is up a
flight of stairs? I accepted the challenge and adapted to it, with the help
of my friends and loved ones. But it's still daunting and can be a
humiliating experience, if you let it be.

<Shameless Plug Inserted here>

Steppes Artisan will be held at the new Midlothian Conference Center and it
should be completely accessible as it is a new city owned building and
conforms to ADA requirements. If anyone needs help loading, unloading, etc,
just contact me in advance and I'll arrange help.

We didn't put it in the event announcement, but will next time. That would
make a good selling point for events.>>>

Being in a wheelchair changes your whole perspective on life and on the SCA.
Long skirts don't work well with wheels. Just because a ramp is legally ADA
accessible doesn't mean that I can go up it by myself. Especially if it's
wet or has gravel on it. Mud and wheelchairs don't work well together.

Don't drink and drive your scooters:) (I spilled one drop down the steering
shaft of my scooter at Gulf War and shorted it out.  I ended up spending
most of the next rainy day stripping it down and cleaning all the contacts
with alcohol. I finally got it to work, but I learned my lesson).

I also didn't like it when I'd be driving along, just fine, and some
well-meaning person would try to start driving me. I'd rather them ask
first. You can mess up someone's hands when they get caught in the spokes of
the wheels!

One of the nicest things that people would do for me, was to sit down next
to me and talk at events. You get a real crick in your neck looking up all
the time from the chair!

Xene